A porcelain veneer consists of a thin shell of porcelain that is cemented to a tooth to improve its appearance. It usually covers the front and top of the tooth.
Veneers are a great option for patients that want a slight change or a total smile transformation. They allow any patient to obtain their dreamed smile.
In addition to the aesthetic improvement they bring many advantages which are:
- Veneers correct various dental issues including broken teeth, they fill the gap between separated teeth, and they fix crooked teeth, and correct discolored or stained teeth.
- They are long-lasting if the patient follows care instructions, up to 15 years.
- They are highly stain-resistant, unlike natural teeth that get stained easily.
- Nearly any tooth imperfection can be covered.
- Porcelain veneers are strong and durable.
- They provide a natural looking result as they are specially colored to match the patient´s natural color.
- They are customized for a perfect fit. After taking impressions of your teeth, the dental lab crafts them to fit each of your teeth perfectly.
- It is a quick and easy procedure. It typically takes two visits to the expert to complete the placement, plus a follow-up check the following week.
- There is no post-treatment recovery. Once cemented and final adjustments are made, the patient can leave and resume his/her regular activities.
- They save tooth structure, unlike other options.
- Patients with fillings in their teeth can obtain a much longer lasting and better restoration of their teeth with veneers, as fillings may change color or break down.
- In some cases, porcelain veneers can be used to improve or modify the bite.
- Veneers, after all, are the front half of a typical crown, so they require less tooth structure to be removed to be applied.
- Easy maintenance. All they require is regular teeth hygiene, brushing after each meal and flossing.
- Gums tolerate porcelain very well.
- Enhance your confidence. Anyone with a great smile will definitely feel more confident, and this will be reflected in an overall sense of well-being and better interaction with others.
As you have learned, there are many advantages to porcelain veneers. No wonder they have become the most demanded dental procedure by patients who need to solve unaesthetic smiles or who simply want to exhibit a gorgeous smile like the ones seen in magazines or television. Celebrities made them famous, and now ordinary people are asking for them. The procedure is easy, it takes just a couple of sessions, the results are amazing, and after-care is simple. Additionally, this procedure although not cheap if compared to other treatments, has become accessible to anyone willing to show the world the brightest smile!